10.03.2010

What We are Reading 9/28 - 10/3

My Heart Is Like a Zoo The Red Lemon (Deluxe Golden Book) The Donut Chef (A Golden Classic) A Book Of Thanks (All Of Me!)Parts (Picture Puffins) We've All Got Bellybuttons! Story of My Feelings Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy A Giraffe and a Half This week was another mixed bag:

We kept, by happy accident, My Heart Is Like a Zoo.  We also got two new Bob Staake books which we were waiting to become available The Red Lemon and The Donut Chef.  Both are good reads, as with We Planted a Tree  - but these were written by Staake as well as illustrated.  I think they have a Seuss-y rhyme to them.  Both are fun stories as well.

Other than that, we are reading A Book Of Thanks (All Of Me!)PartsWe've All Got Bellybuttons!Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy, and Story of My Feelings. The last two were carryovers from Feelings week at preschool, but only just became available at the library and the three before that were for My Body Week.  All good for the subject matter required, but none really stood out for me.  Bud Bud might have thought that Parts was a little scary, but we hammed up the reading and in the end he was laughing.

But the book that really won me over this week was, A Giraffe and a Half by Shel Silverstein.  I bought it on a whim at TJ***x, as it was on the book rack in the checkout line, and I am a sucker for some good old Shel Silverstein.  Plus, I had never read this one.  It is totally fun.  I ramp up my reading speed as the story crescendos and then slow down again as it comes to the end.  It really is fun, give it a whirl. I also try to imagine Silverstein reading it - I hear his voice in my head, from the old tape I had of him reading a Light in the Attic, and I let that goofiness lead my own.

Stay tuned this week, I have to check, but I think it is Dinosaur Week.  Bud Bud is going to be psyched!

No comments:

Post a Comment