10.29.2010

Getting Nostalgic

Eloise: The Ultimate Edition The Secret Staircase (Brambly Hedge) The Littlest Angel The Velveteen Rabbit by Shel Silverstein The Missing Piece (An Ursula Nordstrom Book) 1st edition  The Runaway Bunny  The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes Gift Edition with Charm Richard Scarry's The Adventures of Lowly Worm Jelly Beans For Breakfast I have been wondering what books will stick with Bud Bud and Little Flower when they older.  Pictured above are some of the ones that jump to mind from my childhood, I have mentioned a number of them before.  All have special memories of my Mom reading them to me.  I hope I can do that for my kids.

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes  - just about my favorite holiday book.  I love the pastel-ish illustrations which are the colors that will always, in my mind, be associated with Easter.  I just love the egg with a beautiful scene inside and the wonderfully sweet face of the sleeping child.

Eloise - was just about my favorite book ever.  I wanted to be just like her, pour water down the mail shoot, lose my skate key and wear an egg cup as a hat.  I was even known to have visited her portrait at the Plaza a time or two.

The Secret Staircase (Brambly Hedge) - This book is Christmas for me.  I love the secret tiny life portrayed here and wanted nothing more than to join their mid-winter ball. 

The Littlest Angel - I am still taken with the idea of a box of treasured things from childhood, and even have one of my own.  (and I fully intend on making little treasure chests for the kiddos to keep their on beloved objects.)

The Velveteen Rabbit - Listing this book reminds me of how a wonderful book can become part of your families vocabulary.  My Mom always used to refer to our loved/well used stuffed animals, books, clothes as "real" - our birthday's were always our "Day of all days"  because of Dr Seuss, and there are lots of other phrases, but I won't bore you.

Here are a few more that I loved:  The Missing PieceThe Runaway BunnyThe Adventures of Lowly Worm, and Jelly Beans For Breakfast.

What books did you love and what books still stick with you?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous30.10.10

    I loved Curious George and the Velveteen Rabbit. My mom mostly read fairy tales to me and half the time they were in Spanish.

    My girls love books by Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle and Sandra Boynton.

    ReplyDelete