10.02.2010

Banned Books Week

Banned Books week is coming to an end and I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.  I had, to be completely honest, never heard of this week until I started this blog.  But I think it is an excellent idea to:

highlights the benefits of free and open access to information while drawing attention to the harms of censorship by spotlighting actual or attempted bannings of books across the United States.  (ALA)


I just read through the ALA's top 100 list of Banned/Challenged books from 2000-2009 and was pretty surprised.  There are so many books which moved me, made me think and were even pretty important to me growing up. You will find books like: The Kite RunnerAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret., and Harry Potter  among classics and others.  I am thinking that this list looks like a pretty good list for reading inspiration.  Hmmm, maybe in my spare time (ha ha)  I should make it my new goal to read through this list.

Banned book week has also made me think of my Grandfather, Bernard Evslin, who's book Cerberus  was banned.  I can't remember the exact details of the banning, so I won't relate the story of it that I have in my head, but I do remember that it was challenged for reasons such as satanic content, nudity etc (the book was illustrated with famous works of art depicting the subject matter. Really nice in my mind), lack of parental respect, etc, etc.  I have a soft spot for this book as it was dedicated to me, but also, these books were written for the young adult audience and have been recognized as an excellent resource on Greek Mythology.  As a parent, not just as the granddaughter of the author, I look forward to reading these books to my children and witnessing them enjoy the rich world that is related though the combination of the strong narrative and the excellent curation of the series.

For this last day of Banned Books Week I intend to remember that even though I do not agree with a specific thought or idea, I strongly believe that it is important for information to be available for learning and enjoying, for all.  I may not choose to read a book but I defend my right to.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3.10.10

    Totally agree. There is no such thing as too much information.

    ReplyDelete