11.12.2010

Head over heals for Art & Max

Art & Max Wow, I have never been so happy that the library was closed, despite my two trips (yes, two) there before remembering a poster I had seen saying that staff training would be taking place on Veteran's Day.

I am happy because I was big time craving some new books, and so decided to bring Bud Bud and Little Flower over to the books store in the absence of the library.

There we picked up some books on Thanksgiving and Christmas and then - Art & Max by David Wiesner.  Wow!  I had seen a suggestion for this book on another blog, but to be honest hadn't paid it much attention after finding out the the local library didn't have a copy.  But this book is just up my alley.

Arthur is an experienced painter who is painting "serious" portraits when Max bursts onto the scene - the story that follows is exquisitely illustrated in exciting and novel detail.  After Max literally paints Arthur, we watch him step after step deconstruct Arthur's color, form and line and then build him back up again.  The illustrations show artistic styles such as pointillism, abstract expressionism and ends with Arthur and Max painting side by side with joy and excitement.

An artist myself, an art history buff, and of course a children's book lover, I think this is a wonderful book.  A definite recommend!  You can read it straight through and just enjoy, or as I am always looking for, you can stop and talk to your child about so many aspects of the story, such as art making itself, art history and the physical actions of the characters.

Also, if you have an interest in how children's books are developed, click on the link about - which takes you to the Amazon page for the book, which includes a series of mock ups by the author as he developed the characters and story.  Very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment