1.25.2011

More Wordlessness

Wonder Bear Pancakes for Breakfast I posted earlier about some great "wordless" books and I never thought I would be writing so much on a book blog, where I expound on the wonders of reading to your kids, about books without words.  But I have embarked on a love affair with them lately.  There are just so many wonderful books to choose from, and I am finding that they are helping me to tell stories to my kids and have them help me in the storytelling (ok, not LF - she is a little young to help, but she loves the pictures).

Wonder Bear and Pancakes for Breakfast are our latest favs which we just happened upon at the library in the past two weeks.  I can't get enough of Wonder Bear.  The image shown above doesn't do the illustrations justice.  They are batik illustrations which tell a story of a magic hat which, when planted grows into a magnificent plant, and blooms with bear who takes the children on wondrous adventure.   It is such an imaginative story and such spectacular illustration that I felt like a kids reading it.

Pancakes for Breakfast is a cottagey tale of a woman who wakes up earning for pancakes and tells how she goes about obtaining the ingredients to bake them.  If you loved Strega Nona growing up, you will love this first wordless story by Tomie de Paola.

No comments:

Post a Comment